Saturday, March 14, 2009

Amazing Grace...




How sweet you pose. Last night I attended Tanyth Berkeley’s opening reception at James Danziger projects in Chelsea. As I entered the crowded and energetic space of the gallery, I knew I was in for a little treat. Working my way past the collection of eclectic people to Tanyth’s work, I would periodically catch glimpses of striking glow pale between the contrasts of New York’s dark fashion. I just wanted to finally arrive at one largely framed piece to soak in the photographer’s message, and enjoy the sensual beauty of Grace. Berkeley’s subject and friend of 7 years, Grace Longoria, I would say is somewhat of a muse. Grace’s unusual appearance and curvaceous body, is striking and fantasy like. Some of the photographs such as the one above capture a classical portrait painting quality. What photographer or painter wouldn’t want to use Grace as a model/subject, she’s quite stunning and amusing, as she was there last night gracing the crowd with all her qualities. So, after grabbing my glass of white wine, I finally arrive at my favorite photograph! The one you see just below. Grace’s head is tilted to the side, in front of a window that is filling her up with natural light, her eyes are closed and her hair is fine like that of a baby’s. Her mouth is slightly opened and her eyes are closed. Alright, yeah, you see the photo - I guess I don’t have to explain it to you. But I was recapturing last nights moment here damn it! Anyway, there is such a sense of innocence to this shot, along with the entire collection. But, when I look at this photo, I see; new, birth, womb, life, and grace…so refreshing. Tanyth Berkeley is a genius photographer, and her exhibit at the wonderful gallery space at Danziger projects should not be missed.











Tanyth Berkeley "Grace"
March 14-April 25

Danziger Projects
534 W 24th St.
New York, NY 10011

http://www.danzigerprojects.com/



3 comments:

diane said...

She is soft and amazing looking. And just so you know, I thought your explanation of the photo was very nice. xo

Tânia N. said...

An amazing look!

thestyleadvisor said...

Fantastic though haunting and the same time.