Friday, March 6, 2009

Lets Party like it's 1899!


David McDermott & Peter McGough


Portrait of the Artist's with Top Hats 1865, 1991


A Photographic Feat, 1907 1990-Palladium


David McDermott and Peter McGough are artists who live and work as if it were the late 1800's. Over time they have blurred the lines between art and their daily lives. They divide their time between New York and Dublin. Hmm...They can't travel like it were the 1800's, if so, it would take them about 30 days to travel by boat between Dublin and New york! Anyway, McDermott and McGough photograph themselves in Victorian clothing, with backgrounds that resemble the times. In their photographs they always look like true Dandy gentleman, and this is also how they live, to my understanding. Like their lifestyle, their photographs and paintings demonstrate a kind of rebellion against the present times. Their art consists of popular, high-brow and culture, religion and sexual behavior. David and Peter create photographs using 19th century techniques such as Palladium, gum bichromate and cyanotype. Hmmm...this life style is sounding interesting, we are in the middle of a recession, and global warming...what can it hurt? Lets turn back the clocks to the 19th century! OK, I'm talking nonsense now. I think my entire week of blogging about the Dandy gentleman has made me delirious! cheers! and Happy Friday!

3 comments:

skywind said...

To see these old photographs. I felt and at that time, we received a lot of, but also lost a lot of. Maybe we are marking time? Not to continue the evolution of power? I do not know. I also nonsense, and a happy weekend.

Health is the Greatest Happiness & The World at The Present All rights reserved

diane said...

I like the photo of the man reading. It's a veiled insult to the viewer, to see his face from between the souls of his feet; maybe that's why I like it.

Anonymous said...

I love the Palladium photo... (it's me, Steph, btw)